Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Canon 2

During my early adventures with my new camera, the AE-1, I discovered something odd, I wasn't a very good photographer. In fact, I just stunk. Or was that stinked. Whatever, I was bad. Maybe I needed another lens to help me along my photojourney, Of course, it must be the lack of equipment. So off to the photostore and get another lens. A quick run down of a journey which explains, when you lose your way, you must redouble your speed to make up for it.


Focal (K Mart) 80-200mm f3.5 zoom lens: This was a monsterous beast that wasn't very sharp or easy to use. An early zoom which jaded me against them for years. Traded it for a Focal 200 f3.5 tele: another bad choice. then I tried a series of 135mm's. I discovered that the focal length does not float my photoboat. Of course, over the years I've owned several of them to no avail. I've only taken one (1) picture I've liked with this photo length. So remind self do not get any more 135's. I wonder how many more that means I'll own?


So, now I'm back at the local camera, returning a Canon 135mm f3.5 FD and I spot another lens in the case, it is the Canon 100mm f2.8 SSC FD.


"Let's see that one." I say, and the clerk sighs.


Canon literature states the 100mm is one of their sharpest semi-telephotos. Yes, that is very true. While it may not seem a very big difference between the two focal lengths, it is to me, and
can I ever tell the difference! This lens helped my way of seeing, you know the emotional and feelings that we aren't suppose to be talking about.


Now we have a happy little photobear, running around with his camera outfit, merrily taking pictures (still a goodly number of bad shots), and having a wonderful time.


As you may surmise, practice is beginning to take its toll and the number of better shots is increasing. That is the advice I give new photocubs starting their adventure, "Shoot lots of pictures." I still don't why they are better, that they just are. That is one of the steps on the journey.





I have also picked up the Winder A for the AE-1, (looking back on it, economically it wasn't a good idea) it added weight to the camera, and I can only think of once, where it was necessary for the shot. Including two Vivitar 283 flashes and a set of accessories for them, almost completes my outfit. K mart supplied me with two (finally) pieces of equipment that I still own and use, a medium tripod and a smaller tabletop tripod which folds up into a tube. This little tripod goes almost everywhere I go, and has probably mounted every camera body I've owned.



Next: put up or shut up.

No comments: